Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

Cookies In The House!!

AAAhhhhhhh! So, what is it about cookies being in the house that make it impossible for me to deny myself any?  As in, I don't stop eating until every last crumb is gone.  So, this is how it all went down....

The kids and I have been converting a room in our cabin, previously used as storage, into a playroom. Fun, right?  We've found every imaginable item I didn't even know we owned ;). A box full of cookbooks I had forgotten about was of particular interest to my 3 year old. You know the kind, right? The ones that are like small little paperback cookbooks that taunt you from the magazine racks at the grocery store register?  They always have delicious looking meals or desserts on the front, and apparently (judging from the amount of these I own), I used to purchase every single one ever published during my single days.  So, my precious daughter was extremely excited to find one devoted to Christmas Cookies and Candies!  I heard "yummm!"s and "ooooooohhhhhhhh!"s while she flipped through the pictures deciding which recipe we should make for daddy that day :0).  We decided on some Coconut Pecan cookies that have a frosting similar to German chocolate cake, and melted chocolate drizzled over the top.  YUUUUUUMMMMM.  Sooooooooo, knowing I would end up eating way too many of these if we made them, the excitement of making them with the kids and surprising daddy was worth it :). He loved them!  These will definitely go on our list of recipes to repeat!

Only problem..... today is Monday, and daddy is at work......  So, while going through my healthy morning routine of making oatmeal for the kids, getting everyone's vitamins, and making my organic breakfast shake, well, I was snacking on those delicious cookies.  All of them.  Until, I realized they were completely gone :/.  Yikes!

So, although I already knew I have difficulties with self discipline when cookies are involved, this morning confirmed it.  I need to come up with a plan, before Thanksgiving and Christmas, to stay on track with my healthy eating!!!  Any suggestions are welcome!

And just in case you love cookies too, here's the recipe.  Sorry no pictures, because there are no cookies left to model for the photo shoot.  Taken from Taste of Home Holiday 2009 Christmas Cookies and Candies

COCONUT PECAN COOKIES

Ingredients:
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 can (5 oz) evaporated milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/4 cups flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans

(for dough):
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 cups semi sweet chocolate chips, divided (we used Guirardelli dark choc chips)
1/4 cup flaked coconut

For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine the egg, milk, sugar, and butter.  Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes or until slightly thickened and mixture reaches 160 degrees or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.  Stir in coconut and pecans. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Stir in 2 cups chips and coconut.

Drop by tablespoons 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

In a microwave, melt the remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth.  Spread frosting over cooled cookies; drizzle with melted chocolate.

I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!  Aaaaaand, I hope you have more self control than I did :)!

Iris

4 comments:

  1. YUMMY! These sound wonderful! I shared on Twitter. Stopping by from IBN Facebook group.

    SincerelyJenni.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely trying coconut pecan cookies for the holidays these sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know what you think :)!!

      Delete